Author Topic: Donation  (Read 13349 times)

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
    • http://www.btiteam.org
Donation
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:59:16 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to bother you again in you mail box, but if we really need your support:

• September: server cost covered
  • October: server cost not covered (got 50 euros for 249 needed!)
  • November: we're very low! half month and only 10 euros...

I must tell, I was expecting better answer and support from btit users, now each month we must pay from our pocket the difference. We (btiteam's admin) have to put a lot of time and work into this project, and we make this with pleasure, but if we have also to pay, this is not good!  :(

Thank you to all users which have already donated!

have a nice day,
your favorite tracker.
Please don't PM me about question already asked in forum!

Help or support requested using PM will be billed 50 euros/hour, minimum 1 hour; support on forum is free.

pajo

Re: Donation
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »
Hi
You pay to much for your server!

AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 384K

1024 MB DDR-RAM

2x 80 GB / 7200 RPM

700 GB Bandwidth Included

99.999% Network Uptime

Fedora, Debian or Windows

FREE Plesk 8.2 or Ensim

http://www.server4you.com/us/economy/showplan.php?products=0

$79.00 per Month

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »
we've more than 1 server, and we ask for help, if you want to give help you're welcome ;)

on the paper (monitor ;D) there are millions of better prices :)

Help or support requested using PM will be billed 50 euros/hour, minimum 1 hour; support on forum is free.

Offline Liroy

• Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
i pay for my vps :P 20 EUR :P

MC

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »
I pay 20 EUR  ;D

BitKevin

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:31:05 PM »
I am really sorry Lupin bit I'm 15 years old and my parents won't let me donate :(, so sorry

Regards Kevin

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »
Of course, here there are around 8000 users, only 1000 of them are "real" user and visit btiteam's site, so we can say if 50% donate some money 1 time x year, we can survive without problem :D

about server/hosting proposal I got at this time:

We need to be absolutely independent, then our need is dedicated, because we need good hosting for forum and also need complete management for testing and for compiling/runing xbtt.

thank you to all users which have already donated and whom which will donate in the future!

THANK YOU GUYS! ;D

SirLamer

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 10:35:56 AM »
I pay $5 USD a month for a 5000 member server.  We would have well exceeded 8000 if I didn't keep purging inactive user accounts.

So how can two servers for a similar user base cost 250 euros a month?  I cannot imagine any possible behind-the-scenes activity I might be missing would warrant this additional cost.

Do you really get enough traffic to warrant such an expensive server?  Clearly not if the donations cannot keep up.

Also, unless I am completely missing something, you don't need a second fully capable server just for compiling and testing script.  Hell, I can and have used my own laptop with Windows Vista to run a test server.  You could easily set up an old PC at home and give the IP to the developers.

I suspect you went out and got dedicated servers just because you felt the idea of doing so was exciting and would indicate some level of success on your part.  From what I could tell your original hosting arrangement worked fine and, in fact, better than this one.  Such motivation is simply bad business sense and the result is economic losses.

FYI, I have not donated to your site because I intend to pay $70 for XBTT when it comes out.  I don't pay Microsoft for them to do their R & D... why should I pay you?  I am aware that the $70 purchase cost is optional but this is how I have decided to support you.  Anyway, I suspect that many other users are intending to do the same thing.

FYI #2, I don't intend any disrespect, but sometimes some no-holes-barred reality can be very useful.  Your software is very good and I will gladly purchase it when it becomes available.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:12:52 AM by SirLamer »

Offline Liroy

• Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »
rotfl xD

5$ for server/month = this is one of hosting plans in this hosting provider

not REAL SERVER and not VPS!!!

btiteam have REAL SERVER ( Dual Opteron 244, few GB RAM, ...... <= this data is VPS server)

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
any opinions must respected ;)

Offline monosgeri

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »
If I know well there'll be 2 different versions of v2... A free and paid... Maybe you can earn money with v2
if(!$drunk)
$beer
++;

(http://dvd-plaza.org)

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
Guys, there is (I see) a little misunderstanding, donations are asked to you (I think I'll not in the future) for server's cost, not for earning money...
I personaly think if you (speaking about all btit's users) like the script and have little money, it's good and help to donate, else no problem, I'll think for different thing ;)

SirLamer

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 02:36:10 AM »
rotfl xD

5$ for server/month = this is one of hosting plans in this hosting provider

not REAL SERVER and not VPS!!!

btiteam have REAL SERVER ( Dual Opteron 244, few GB RAM, ...... <= this data is VPS server)

Yeah thanks this proves my point.

You guys don't need a dedicated server if you can't match the expense of running it.  You did it so that you could say "rofl XD" in your posts and look special.  There is no way that you need all that power for a site like this.  It's too bad you can't see that, though, even when more than one person points that out to you.  Oh well.

I know what a virtual server is and yes that is what I use - because that is all I need, as is the case for this site.

locutius

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 03:24:29 AM »
there is no mystique about btiteam.org

i see in this thread some fuktards making speculation on the business of Lupin and the team. it has never been a secret and if you were a genuine member of this community then you would know what the input is from the operators

btiteam has 2 servers. the first runs this site btiteam.org and the second runs the VPS hosting and the test sites and the demo sites. the first is a basic blade with 1GB RAM and costs 69 euro/month and the second is a twin duo-core with 4 GB RAM and costs 179 euro/month. it all adds up to 250 euro/month which is the running costs of this development team EXCLUDING the domain costs and the costs of our time etc

the first dedicated server that hosts btiteam.org was purchased to ensure the access logs of the community are secure and not open to security issues because they are on a shared server

the second larger server was purchased because we need:

1. a hosting service secure from the anti-p2p shills dogging this forum, actually a stepping stone for beginners before they buy their own dedicated server, all in the name of popularising bittorrent and protecting the community from hawks
2. a platform for test sites for new software, we have run 16 beta test sites from this server without cost to the people who put time and effort and skill into our project
3. a platform for the official management and accreditation of xbtit hacks and mods http://www.btiteam.org/smf/index.php?topic=8735.0
4. a platform for xbtit when launched which includes the fully installed set up and ready to go tracker

personally, there have been times when i have been paying out of my own pocket more than 200 euro/month to support this project but my family agrees it is good we do this and commit to what we believe in

to listen to you is an afront to me and the coders and the guys and girlz who all give their resources be it time or effort or skills to the project. i say f*** you, you know and understand shit. the only reason i dont kick your ass is because i wanna enjoy your poor response to my post ... there is none within the core team who doubt what we are about and the principle ethic we are about is sharing

Lupin has paid the server costs for more than 3 years before he ever implemented a donation system. he gave the code for free and also paid the rent. i have backed this honorable man and proposed we can segment the market into those who need help and can pay will pay and those who need help wont pay. if we ever clear our costs then the cash will go to buying coders to push the project forward

then you the Jonny-come-lately has something to say in an attempt to disrupt the community. i am disgusted to hear this criticism and SirLamer you can seriously *f*** off*. your card is marked, i dont want to see you around here anymore. this project cannot be subverted by cheap ignorant childish abuse

fr3akstar

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 04:01:53 AM »
I do think this is getting a little out of hand, you are only feeding the trolls. TBH i don't think you need to justify yourselves to a couple of 14 year olds, they aren't the ones that can see beyond the ends of their noses and recognise good service when they see it anyway. I have donated a small amount even though I have only been using your software for literally a day because its exactly what I am looking for and whenever I find good "free" software on the net that I can see people have gone to a hell of a lot of effort to produce then why the hell wouldn't I contribute. Now that I have XBTIT Beta 2 up and running and it is serving my purposes I will donate each month for the distinct pleasure of using well thought out software and will contribute my own experience running trackers and dealing with the complications involved in that towards the betterment of the code and the community.

You don't need to justify yourself but when donations are so low I can understand being disappointed in peoples attitudes. I know my contribution was well received and I know any further contribution in whatever form it takes will be accepted with similar good grace in the future.

To the little ones, grow up fast because the PTB is coming for you.

fr3ak (damn it who stole my name!)

Friend site

DPWS Direct