Author Topic: Donation  (Read 12877 times)

SirLamer

Re: Donation
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 04:11:34 AM »
That's fine, you can justify it all you want, but reality is that you are not breaking even.  You can ignore that fact or address it.  Begging for donations will give you a short-term boost but you can't go on doing that forever, because such financial support will fall away.  You need another business model.

I saw in an earlier post that this purchase was made expecting 50% of your user base to donate money.  Well that is not anywhere near realistic.

Again, as an idea to address your costs, I cannot accept that one machine is being taxed to its limit just running btitem.org.  Can the hack management system and the demo tracker be moved to this server?  You can run your beta tests on someone's idle PC being hosted at home.  This frees the second server to be used exclusively for re-hosting, the cost of which should be more than covered by the fees you collect for this service.  Speaking of which, why are you including serer costs used in your re-hosting service as part of the monthly donation quota?  This seems dishonest.  If it is so underutilized, then maybe consider whether or not you really need to do this to support the community.  I have a fine hosting service that is fully aware of my BitTorrent activities and does not object.  I can provide links but only if you want them (I don't want to take from your own hosting service.)

I really do not mean to piss all over your work.  Problems like this one can really benefit from a fresh third-party perspective and that is all I aim to offer.  I appreciate and respect your response, Locutius - certainly a stark contrast from "rofl XD".  I can tell you're offended and for this I apologize.  I honestly had not considered the anti-p2p issue to the extent that you appear to address it through your hosting model.  However, this does not change the fact that you are losing money.  Even if I turn around and donate $50 as a result of this discussion, this won't even cover a third of the remaining difference of this month, let alone the months ahead.  This reality is far more threatening than any anti-p2p efforts, which have no legal basis.

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
    • http://www.btiteam.org
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
I really don't know why each time (this is second) we ask for help and support there is a lot of contrast and everyone want to say "you loose, it's bad system, you pay too much, etc"

I only want to say and then close:
if you can donate, donate we will be grateful; if you can't/don't want for some reason, then don't do it, but don't flame or open useless post.

Thank you.
Please don't PM me about question already asked in forum!

Help or support requested using PM will be billed 50 euros/hour, minimum 1 hour; support on forum is free.

Offline monosgeri

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
Guys, there is (I see) a little misunderstanding, donations are asked to you (I think I'll not in the future) for server's cost, not for earning money...
I personaly think if you (speaking about all btit's users) like the script and have little money, it's good and help to donate, else no problem, I'll think for different thing ;)

I ment the "earn money" to pay the server... I know well because I have also one...
if(!$drunk)
$beer
++;

(http://dvd-plaza.org)

JDupri

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »
I'm a little bit late on this discussion, but I don't understand why the DEV team doesn't use SourceForge hosting.
the large majority of users here will never pay for anything as reflected previously in polls & other discussions.
however, I believe ppl (including myself) will pay for custom hacks & feature improvements / additions.
maybe this is another avenue to pursue.
also, SirLamer makes some valid points that should be viewed not as an attack, but as constructive feedback from a user of your product.

Offline Liroy

• Forum Admin
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 11:20:53 AM »
because on sourceforge.net web hosting is big shit ;/ sometimes works slowly and if i'm not wrong not for simplemachines forum and mkportal (btiteam using this). Sourceforge.net we use only for svn hosting and and file releasing oh and for bugtracker

JDupri

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 11:57:41 AM »
thanks for the explanation, Liroy.
I don't know what else to recommend to you guys.  it is an interesting paradox.

ppl want support & hacks, etc but they don't want to pay & seem to want to complain more than anything else.

however, I would definitely pay for direct priority support / coding help & custom hacks
I would even be willing to pay for this type of service on a quarterly basis (every 3 months)
but, I think I may be in a small minority of serious users / admins here who may be interested in this.

SirLamer

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
I can suggest something else rather simple for collecting donations.

The PayPal donate page is in a language I don't understand.  That doesn't mean it's wrong, but rather maybe is there a way to make offer a choice of various languages?

I suggest this because to have to figure out what is going on is difficult and somewhat discouraging.  When I tried to login, hoping it would switch languages (in what I can only assume is the login fields) I got an error that I cannot read!

Anyway, since I suspect most of your users are English, you might want to consider offering multiple languages on that page - if you can.

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I can suggest something else rather simple for collecting donations.

The PayPal donate page is in a language I don't understand.  That doesn't mean it's wrong, but rather maybe is there a way to make offer a choice of various languages?

I suggest this because to have to figure out what is going on is difficult and somewhat discouraging.  When I tried to login, hoping it would switch languages (in what I can only assume is the login fields) I got an error that I cannot read!

Anyway, since I suspect most of your users are English, you might want to consider offering multiple languages on that page - if you can.
you're right, my bad. I've fixed the donation's language page (paypal's one)

Help or support requested using PM will be billed 50 euros/hour, minimum 1 hour; support on forum is free.

SirLamer

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »
Reviewing the PayPal donations page, I still see the same language (Italian, I think) with no clear opportunity for changing the language to something else.

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 08:51:02 AM »
Reviewing the PayPal donations page, I still see the same language (Italian, I think) with no clear opportunity for changing the language to something else.
shitting paypal interface, should be english now...

rockybaboa

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 07:17:42 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to bother you again in you mail box, but if we really need your support:

• September: server cost covered
  • October: server cost not covered (got 50 euros for 249 needed!)
  • November: we're very low! half month and only 10 euros...

I must tell, I was expecting better answer and support from btit users, now each month we must pay from our pocket the difference. We (btiteam's admin) have to put a lot of time and work into this project, and we make this with pleasure, but if we have also to pay, this is not good!  :(

Thank you to all users which have already donated!

have a nice day,
your favorite tracker.

sorry  i am new here like to buy torrent files to upload to my websever want to make a torrent website can you help me?

Offline Lupin

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »
you already can do this without pay nothing, then if you like you can donate ;)